Breastfeeding your baby in early childhood is highly recommended as it helps the child’s development. Unfortunately, because of the stigma that comes with breastfeeding in public, a lot of mothers choose to breastfeed their child at home, and bottle feed them in public.
But breastfeeding covers or nursing covers as they are sometimes known, now allow mothers to breastfeed in public, as it allows their child to breastfeed in peace all while protecting themselves from unwanted attention.
What is a Nursing Cover?
A nursing cover is usually a piece of cloth, usually in the form of a scarf or something similar. They usually come in a reversible design so that moms can choose design to use. They are also versatile, as some can be used as a cover for your child’s stroller to protect against the sun’s rays during your walks or a scarf for cold days.
- Nurse in Public – Breastfeeding in public can be a challenge especially for first time mothers. Nursing covers provide a way for mothers to nurse their child without attracting attention to themselves.
- Easy to use – A lot of nursing covers are easy to use. Mothers can simply put it on when their child needs to feed, slip their child under the cover and they are all set.
- Variety of use – When you’re not feeding your baby, you can use your breastfeeding cover as a stroller cover to protect against the sun during strolls in the park, or even as a car seat cover when your child is sleeping in the backseat.
- Styles to choose from – Different moms have different tastes, and they will be happy to know that breastfeeding covers come in a variety of styles and designs to choose from.
Breastfeeding Cover Types and Designs
Some designs are more popular with moms than others, and each are made from specific types of fabrics. Here are a few nursing covers and what you should know about each of them.
Apron Style Breastfeeding Cover
This is the most commonly found design in stores. It is very similar to aprons worn in the kitchen, with a strap that goes around the neck to keep your baby from pulling it off you when feeding. It also features a rigid neckline that allows moms to check on their child, and to ensure proper airflow.
- Pros – The apron design is easy to pack when going out, and it is also easy to put on. The straps are usually adjustable, allowing a more comfortable fit to any mother.
- Cons – Because of its design, the apron only really covers the front. Thus, it is not recommended for older children. However, it is just perfect for your newborn.
- Material used – Apron nursing covers are usually made with light, breathable materials like cotton to make it more ideal for use in warm weather, and also to make it easier to carry with you when you go out.
Poncho Style Breastfeeding Cover
It looks and feels a lot like a regular poncho. The design of the poncho nursing cover makes it ideal for mothers who want to feed their baby in public without worrying about nosy pedestrians. It guarantees privacy and they usually come in stylish designs.
- Pros – Unlike the apron, the poncho nursing covers both the front and back. This can provide a bit of warmth especially for colder days, and won’t expose moms. And because they don’t have the rigid neckline like the apron, they fold a lot easier. They can also be used as a blanket for your child’s stroller or car seat.
- Cons – Your baby might get a little too hot under the cover, and it can be a little trickier when you want to check on your child as they are nursing because it lacks the neckline.
- Material used – Just like the apron, the poncho is usually made from lightweight material like a cooling rayon knit fabric for optimized quality.
Scarf Style Breastfeeding Cover
Among the three designs available in the market, the scarf nursing cover design has to be the most versatile. It is a lot bigger than your average scarf, so you can tie it around diagonally on your body to create a pocket for your child to lay in comfortably. When not in use, moms can wrap it around their neck and wear it like a regular scarf. They also come in both plain and patterned designs.
- Pros – Both mom and baby can benefit from the scarf as it can be used to keep mom warm when not in use, and baby safe and secure when breastfeeding. The scarf can also double as a blanket and they make great baby shower gifts for friends and family.
- Cons – Mothers generally don’t have a complaint about the scarf because the design is very versatile and handy. They are also generally considered to be the best choice for mothers looking for a nursing cover.
- Material used – Breastfeeding scarves are made from a comfortable viscose fabric. This makes the scarf comfortable to use and bring along with you wherever you and your baby decide to go.
In terms of style and versatility, the scarf is certainly the winner. But before you place an order for your own breastfeeding cover, make sure to consider other factors to make sure that you are getting what you and your baby need. Different brands offer different features, and they are always worth checking out.