I am not an eco warrior, but the escalating cost of gas and electricity drove me to search for a more energy efficient and cost saving way to cook my food, and I am pleased that I have found it in my portable induction cooktop.
And why is less energy used in induction cooking? The answer lies in the technology that generates heat in the cooking pots and pans, leaving the cooker surface cool, and heat produced in the cookware is then transferred directly to food or any other content in your cookware.
Most of the energy used in traditional cooking methods is wasted in heating the surface of our cooktops and the surrounding air before the heat even gets to the food. But in induction cooking, the cooktops and air around our cookwares are not heated, and the surface of an induction remain cool to touch as the food is cooking.
And do you know that Induction cooking system is 84% energy efficient compared to electric cookers at 74% and gas stoves at only 40%?
With increasing cost of gas and electricity for cooking, a Portable Induction Cooktop will keep your energy bill down, leaving more money in your pocket to spend on other things.
Portable induction cooktops take up small amount of space on kitchen counters or dining tables, and some of the best available are powerful enough to cook large family meals faster than gas and electric stoves.
To help you make the best buying decision, checkout my selection of popular portable induction cooktops. I am sure you will find one that meets your need.
Best Portable Induction Cooktops Reviews
Highly rated and recommended by online buyers
1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop; Compact and light weight induction cooktop. 10 power levels from 200 – 1800 watts & 140 – 460 degree F temperature setting for rapid cooking. Features digital control panel.
1800-Watt Portable Sensor Touch Induction Cooktop: Another powerful induction cooktop from Duxtop. Features digital control panel and touch control. 10 temperature settings from 140 – 464 degree F for quick or slow cook meal
NuWave PIC – Precision Induction Cooktop: 6 Pre-programmed temperature induction cocktop with program memory for for boil, simmer, deep-fry, stir-fry, sauce, steam & sear, slow cook, melt and grill. Light weight and superior energy saving up to 70%.
True Induction Energy Efficient Induction Cooktop: Features precision temperature settings for quick and easy cook. Only heats the cockware saving energy. Heat Automatically shuts off if no cookware is detected. Digital touch panel.
Double Burner Portable Induction Cooktop
.. for even faster cooking
This sleek looking induction cooktop with double burner combined the efficiency of induction cooking with time saving abilty to cook two different dishes at the same time. And as a True induction cooktop each burner uses full 1800 watts power unlike traditional double burner induction cooktops that will share 1800 watts equally between the burners. Features easy to use digital controls with temperature levels from 150 to 450 degrees F.
Best Cookware for Induction Cooktops
To get the best out of your Induction Cooktop, use a cookware that is a good heat conductor with flat bottom. It should be made of ferrous (magnetic) material. If you can stick a magnet to the bottom, it is a good induction cooking pot or pan.
Any Limitations in Induction Cooking?
Things you should also know about induction cooking
There is always a catch in most good things, and induction cooking is no exception. These are not major limitations in my opinion, but you should consider them when buying an induction cooktop.
- You must use a cookware that is compatible with induction heat transfer.
- Cookwares made of ceramic or glass are not suitable for induction cooking. So also are cookwares made of solid aluminium or copper.
- Most suitable induction cookwares are made of ferrous (metal) magnetic material with flat bottom. Direct contact with induction rings in the cooktop is important because the magnetic field that induces the heat in induction cooking, reduces rapidly with the distance a cookware bottom is away from the surface of the cooktop.
- Small audible noise is produced by internal cooling fan in an induction cooktop. In cookware that is exposed to high magnetic field (at high power), you may also notice an audible buzz from the cookware, especially if the cook pan or pot has loose parts.
- Just as is applicable to electric cooktops, you will not be able to use an induction cooktop if there is a power cut. A gas cooker does not have this limitation.
Max Burton Portable Induction Cooktops
Very popular cooktops from a top brand name
The power in Max Burton induction cooktops is mostly 1800 watts and above delivering instant heat with variable power levels. You will also find some models in commercial grade quality that are more expensive but good investment that will last you a long time.
Powerful Portable Induction Cooktop
Max Burton 6000 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop – Black
A powerful 1800-watt single burner induction cooktop that delivers instant heat to only the areas in contact with your cookware. It has 10 adjustable power levels from 140 to 450 degrees F. Other functions available on the Max Burton 6000 induction cooktop are:-
- Cookware detection system and overheat sensors that prevent overheating and injury from burns.
- A 180-minute timer lets you set your cooking time while you do other things.
- It is very easy to use with Push Button controls and LED display panel.
- A good size cooktop that measures 14 by 12 3/5 by 2 1/2 inches.
Fagor Portable Induction Cooktop
Portable, yet large for family size cooking
Fagor Portable Induction Cooktop
Experience the quick heating power of 1800 Watt induction cooktop. Vary the temperature setting from 140 to 430 degrees F in 7 power level to suit the type of meal you are cooking. Made from durable and easy to clean quality schott ceran glass surface, this Fagor Induction cooktop will out last most of the competition.
The areas surrounding the cooking surface is cool to touch and it has quick temperature check function that displays the actual cooking temperature. This is a good sized induction cooktop that is suitable for small and large family cookwares.